Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day 1

Today was day full of delays and new things. Even before I left my eye caught something in the terminal. A chipotle that sold breakfast. I couldn’t believe my eyes and was so sad that I was not able to try it. Both flights of the day were delayed but I found out that the delays are not very uncommon. On the flight to London the guy sitting next to me was going to the world cup! I told him to do something crazy so I can see him on TV and root for USA. Airplane food is not good and it is very difficult to sleep in airplane seats. London’s terminal was full of expensive stores and the first overseas meal was a NY style bagel place and right after we started our morning with a shot of champagne. Anna picked us up and showed us her home and great hospitality. We had a Hungarian dish for dinner and then after went to visit our first castle. The castle was amazing and beautiful and then we finished the night watching the world cup as I drank a Bavarian white beer. Great way to start the trip off.


Well we learned that delays sucks so do long distance plane rides…from now on I want to fly at least business class one step up from coach. There was a crying baby, this old woman in front of me insisted on laying back as far as she could and I could not sleep at all. Around 3 am home time they served us dinner…. Boy that was a mistake… I did not feel good after they feed us something they call chicken. Nick and I then after a rocky tiring ride landed in London. London is expensive the US dollar goes nowhere compared to the pound. Nick and I had two bagels with cream cheese and a juice for 8 pounds roughly 11 US dollars. It was absurd. We then took a nice short flight to Dusseldorf where Anna picked us up from the airport. We took about an hour and half car ride to where we are staying, we are staying in a family friends apartment it’s cute and small but really nice. We drove on the autobahn to get to Anna’s small city. It was quite pretty drive but just like home a little trafficey. We then had an amazing dinner outside in her backyard, with some wine (Nick stuck with water) and fresh bread. Anna, Nick, Anna’s mom and I then went to see our first castle; it looked right out of an Ever After movie. On our way home we stopped by and had a beer at this old German pub, it was very old fashioned, if you could imagine a pub in Germany than this is what you would imagine. I had a delicious beer with strawberry and syrup, might sound odd but it was actually sooo good

No comments:

Post a Comment